Kate Cooper, Ph.D., Chair
The Loras College Chemistry program provides a comprehensive scientific foundation within a liberal arts tradition. We develop the connection between the molecular and macroscopic worlds and equip our students to make meaningful contributions for the common good. Students grow in their capacity to solve problems and understand scientific inquiry through immersion in original, independent research. The program intentionally builds a community between the students, faculty, and alumni that supports students in realizing their personal, academic, and professional goals.
The Chemistry program includes biochemistry, chemistry, and chemistry for secondary education majors. These majors support those interested in health science, industry, environmental science, laboratories, patent law, forensics, research, biotechnology, and graduate study.
Student Learning Outcomes - Chemistry
- Students will master the fundamentals in Biochemical, Inorganic, Analytical, Organic and Physical Chemistry.
- Students will be able to plan and execute experiments and evaluate their results.
- Students will be able to communicate scientific and experimental information to other scientists and the community at large.
- Students will identify, comprehend, and evaluate relevant chemical literature.
- Students will develop professional skills that support relevant vocations.